Halloween is such an exciting “holiday” for children…the magic of fantasy, costumes, parties and…CANDY! FREE candy, no less! I STILL remember the excitement of Halloween and specific, favorite costumes over the years. What I really remember was the wonder over the pillowcases full of sweet, FREE booty (which every dentist in America publicly decries but secretly promotes.)
So, now that you know that CHILD SLAVES harvest cheap chocolate…can you REALLY buy slave trade chocolate this year? What? You didn’t know that most chocolate that is cheap and readily available in every store in America is tainted by the sweat of slave children? That slave children:
- work 80-100 hours a week in hot, inhumane conditions
- are whipped and beaten with sticks and bicycle chains
- hack the cocoa pods down out of the trees with machetes
- are housed like animals in over-crowded shacks using a communal bucket for a toilet (and are locked in when not working)
- don’t go to school
- don’t receive medical care
- may never see their families again and
- have never even TASTED chocolate themselves?
So, now that you know…are YOU going to buy cheap chocolate? Oh, for your sake, I certainly hope not. The companies with the WORST record is Hershey’s Chocolate and Nestle’s. Find out what they sell and then DON’T BUY IT! Buy Fair Trade instead…
I mean seriously, how can we send American children out to collect FREE chocolate that was harvested on the backs of children in developing countries that will never know what FREEDOM means????? Will never taste chocolate. Will never celebrate ANYTHING. Nope, no can do.
posted by Janet Byers